Valley Heights Steam Tramway

Exhibits

Locomotive 1308

CLASS CC(79) (pre 1924), Z13 (1924 classification)
TYPE — 4-4-2T SUBURBAN PASSENGER SIDE TANK — 20 IN CLASS

1308 tank locomotiveBetween 1896 and 1902, some 20 of the C(79)-class became surplus and were adapted for further use by conversion to tank locomotives. The frames were extended to the rear, over a trailing pair of wheels in Webb radial axle boxes, and side tanks and a bunker were fitted. Also Belpaire type boilers were fitted to all but two of the locomotives. They were then able to supplement the hardpressed M(40), Q( 158) and older classes in maintaining the rapidly growing suburban services of Sydney.

When released from this work by the advent of the S (636) -class from 1903 onward, they were allotted minor roles, such as working the Morpeth, Warren and Carlingford branches and, in later years, the Picton-Mittagong loop line, Yass Town branch, the Coffs Harbour-Kempsey and CasinoBorder Loop schoolchildren's trains. One unusual task, in vogue for a short period, was to act as a push-up engine on the Brisbane Expresses on Lawrence Road Bank, North of Grafton.

Like the original C(79)-class they clearly indicated their derivation from the well-known 4-4-0T tank engines of 1863, once used on the Metropolitan and Metropolitan District Railways in London.

Nos. 83 and 84 were sold to East Greta Mining & Railway Company, for working passenger trains between Maitland and Cessnock or Stanford Merthyr, in 1908, when still fitted with a round-top firebox. No. 87 WIIS sold to Ashtonfields Colliery, Thornton, in 1922. Most have been scrapped or condemned, No. 130 I being preserved for use on Vintage trains.

    Cylinders    18 in. x 24 in.    457 mm x 610 mm
  Driving wheels   5 ft. 6 in.   1676 mm
  Boiler pressure   140 lbs.   965 kPa
  Tractive effort   13,100 lbs.   5942 N
  Total weight   51 tons 18 cwt.   52.7 t

Text and photo from Century Plus of Locomotives, © Australian Railway Historical Society, 1965. Used by permission.

Built as a 4-4-0 tender engine, and later converted to 4-4-2T. 1308 had been stored at the NSWRTM until transferred to the Parramatta Park Steam Tramway & Museum in 1985 for restoration to working order.  It was dismantled for overhaul at Parramatta Park and restoration had begun when tragedy struck and the Parramatta site was destroyed by arson in June 1993.  The dismantled components of 1308 were returned to Thirlmere and are now stored. 

More information and photos

Australian Steam - Preserved Steam Locomotives Down Under -- New South Wales Government Railways

National Library of Australian--Buckland collection of railway photographs 1308 at Hill Top, Picton-Mittagong loop line, April 1938

Steam Locomotive 1307 preserved at Yass Railway Museum

Return to exhibits list